HarbisonWalker International refractory products are time tested against highly corrosive, heat-intensive applications. We can provide consultation on the right product choices, and we offer a breadth of services and support for a variety of technology solutions that work across industries. We have dedicated application specialists to help you choose the refractory products best suited to your environment. Give us a call at (800) 492-8349 to learn more.
High-temperature kilns firing products such as technical ceramics and other materials require refractory linings that offer durability and stability at high operating temperatures. HarbisonWalker International supplies materials for tunnel kilns as well as periodic kilns. HWI has a track record of success with high refractoriness, creep resistance, and volume stability. Our high-alumina bricks get the job done.
- KORUNDAL® XD provides industry-leading creep resistance and is used in many other refractory-intensive industries, such as chemical processing and incineration.
- KORUNDAL® LW incorporates similar creep-resistant technology but utilizes insulating bubble alumina aggregates to provide exceptional insulating properties.
- In addition to these high-end products, HWI carries a complete refractory portfolio of brick, insulating firebrick, ceramic fiber products, and monolithics to line any kiln.
HarbisonWalker International works hard to support the ironmaking process. We support our customers in areas with temperatures as high as 800–900ºC in the preheat zone and as high as 1200–1300ºC in the burning zone of the rotary kiln. We supply several refractory options for rotary kiln linings. Top brands include KRUZITE®-70 and ALADIN® 80. These bricks are typically maintained using monolithic refractories. We also have solutions for the coolers associated with the kiln for cooling the pellets before transport. Our monolithic refractories, like ULTRA-EXPRESS® 70 and GREENGUN®-85P products, are used to successfully maintain these areas.
HarbisonWalker International also provides top-performing refractories for industrial boilers used in a wide range of industries for generating steam or heat for factories, hospitals, laundry, food-processing plants, paper plants, and many others. A deteriorated refractory (spalling, lining decay, or refractory cracking, for example) can result in a loss of boiler efficiency, causing hot spots on the casing or outer shell of the furnace.
HarbisonWalker International’s core offerings to repair boilers include:
- Refractory brick and tile in fireclay compositions such as EMPIRE® DP, CLIPPER® DP, and SAIRSET® mortar
- Patching refractories and plasters (SUPER HYBOND® and GREENPATCH® 421)
- Castables used to repair boilers
Heat treating spans a variety of industrial processes used to alter the physical and sometimes chemical properties of a material. Heat treatment techniques include annealing, nitriding, stress relieving, forging, tempering, normalizing, and quenching.
Our refractory solutions for furnaces include but are not limited to:
- Car bottom furnaces
- Roller hearth furnaces
- Bell furnaces
- Batch and continuous furnaces
- Rotary hearth furnaces
Our refractory products include firebrick qualities from super-duty fireclay (CLIPPER® DP) to high-alumina brick brands like UFALA®, KRUZITE®-70, and KORUNDAL® XD. GREENTHERM insulating firebricks can provide insulation. Monolithics include conventional and low-cement castables like KS®-4V PLUS, MC-25®, MIZZOU® CASTABLE, and VERSAFLOW® 45C PLUS or 60, and patching plastics, rams, and mortars like PLASTECH®, SUPER HYBOND® PLUS, and SAIRSET® brands. We also make ceramic fiber blanket, board, and modules. These are our INSWOOL®, INSBOARD, and INSWOOL® modules.
The Solutions Are Endless.
Beyond the industrial applications above, HarbisonWalker International services many other applications. From space shuttle launch pads to high school ceramic kilns, we have the experience and products for your high-temperature needs. Whether it’s a standard refractory product like a ceramic crucible or a complex new process requiring new shapes and materials, HarbisonWalker International can support you.
In fact, at HWI, we love to team up with customers on new processes to understand their needs and design the refractory solutions. Our 150 years of refractory experience, combined with our dedicated application specialists and our Advanced Technology and Research Center, the largest such facility in North America, brings creative power and novel solutions to our customers. Contact us and let us show you what we can do.
- Dedicated sales personnel ready to respond 24/7/365
- 19 manufacturing plants producing refractory products in North America, Europe, and Asia
- 30 North American global sourcing centers providing one of the quickest response times in the refractory industry
- Usually shipping with same-day or next-day delivery
- Staging and shipping to anywhere in the world
- Ready-to-ship inventory of our best-selling refractories
Global Projects & Engineering:
- Specialists in new projects offering a range of services, from refractory product supplier all the way to full installation partner
- Greenfield construction
- Manufacturing and plant modernization
- Serving the advanced engineering needs of existing facilities
- End-to-end delivery of refractories: drawings, products, and installation
- Strong conceptual drawing capabilities with meticulous attention to detail
Installation, Service, & Support:
- Support from HWI’s network of premier contractor/installers
- Available benefits of a Value-Added Service (VAS) team:
- Single-source responsibility that delivers cost savings
- Just-in-time delivery of refractory materials, ensuring the freshest product on the jobsite
- Inventory solutions
- Quick response times, minimizing outages and downtime
- More in-depth knowledge of your business, yielding the best refractory solutions
- Embedded HWI team members and resources at your site
- Our Advanced Technology and Research Center is the largest facility in the United States devoted to refractory development, quality assurance, and failure analysis.
Education & Training:
- Ongoing educational seminars at our Advanced Technology and Research Center
- Customized, on-site training for customers upon request
- Webcasts and video training modules upon request